Monday 20 October 2014

Autumn...

"Autumn days, when the grass is jewelledAnd the silk inside a chestnut shellJet planes meeting in the air to be refuelledAll these things I love so wellSo I mustn’t forgetNo, I mustn’t forgetTo say a great big thank youI mustn’t forget."
In primary school, this was one of my favourite hymns. I'd belt out the words at the top of my lungs. from the middle of the floor during assembly, legs crossed and full of enthusiasm. When you think about it, its such a great song. What makes it special is that it goes on about my favourite time of the year... Autumn. My last post talks about how september is my favourite month, but this is about my season. So here's 5* THINGS I LOVE ABOUT AUTUMN.



1. Colours. 
People say spring is the most colourful season, but I prefer Autumn colours. Spring is full of pinks and blues and other brights, but autumn has a solemn sophistication to it. With the darker ends of the spectrum glowing. Cranberry, Tan, Grey, Cream, Navy Blue, Deep Purple, Mustard, Burgundy....
And it's not just clothes! It's the trees and their leaves, it's the lighting and more importantly, it's the Food!!

2. Food!! 
To be honest, this really should be the first point. But this list isn't in order of preference. Nonetheless as the foodie that I am, food is important. Now as a Nigerian, there aren't that many foods that stick to certain seasons. Maybe fruits, but otherwise, that's about it. Nonetheless, I believe that Autumn foods stick out. Also, Autumn foods often overlaps with Christmas foods, so there's goodness for two seasons. Here's SIX foods for autumn (recipes soon come)


  • Anything pumpkin. It's only right as Halloween is nigh. But pumpkin makes for spice and soup and pies and more. Why let it pass you by?
  • Yams, sweet potato and all those tubers.  They make for amazing sides with casseroles and soups so which are dishes that hold the best of autumn crops.
  • Butternut squash gets it's own cos it's either/or, it can be used in replacement of pumpkins or sweet potatoes, but it's more a veg. 
  • Chocolate - to be fair, this is a cheat and chocolate is a year round food, but think desserts.
  • Pies and crumbles - I've given you enough ideas for these... but get those summer fruits that are almost out of season and make a crumble or get the beef and butternut quash into a pie.
  • Soup! - Every vegetable and even better combinations make for good soups. EXPERIMENT!


3. Harvest
Speaking of food, Harvest! That hymn was actually a harvest hymn. For those that don't know harvest is the time when farmers gather their crops. In simplest terms. But for me in primary school it meant donating to the needy, usually food and we still do through CAFOD.
4. Thanksgiving
This hymn is so relevant! It's telling us to be thankful and guess what's in Autumn? Thanksgiving! Okay, so Brits don't do thanksgiving, but heeyyy.... IDC. I love the idea of family/friends and giving thanks. Never pass an opportunity to do so.  Again, it celebrates food and oh... Turkey!!!


5. I could list more, but I'm gonna leave it to you instead- What do you love about Autumn?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or Questions?