Wednesday 29 April 2015

Chronicles of an IJGB: Humble beginnings.

It's official guys, I'm an IJGB. The worst part of this coined term is that I struggle to actually say the dumb thing. I've bitten my gums twice already. Sent the house girl to get bonjela because I know that won't be the last time. 

I was just gonna keep my journal/diary about this experience, but a good friend (Shoutout to Lanre) gassed me to blog about it. Apparently, some of you will be interested. So I will entertain you with as much as I can, from random stories to encounters with Nigerian men and the popularly slandered Yoruba boys, Angry drivers and the lot of it But let's start with the basics...


Well how was my flight? 

I hadn't even left LHR Terminal 4 yet and I was soo stressed. HOW? Arik of course! My flight got cancelled and they put us all in a hotel over night. Seeing as I live so close to Heathrow, I went home. But boy wasn't I glad. Loads of food!! 
Anyways back to the flight... 

It was normal. I moved from point a-b. Flight entertainment wasn't working, so I bought out my laptop, but it was decent still. There was this one man however, who spoke for the entire duration of the flight. Like from take off to landing, He spoke about his life, his fathers life, his father's death, his sister's life, his mother, his brother, his ex-fiance, his dog, the rabbit his dog killed... the whole damn lot!

Though I learnt my first lesson of the Nigerian culture. We aren't patient. Jega is truly one of a kind. How did the pilot have to beg us to get passengers to stay seated during turbulence and landing. Everyone just wanted to get up and gist/ carry their load. I said the tyres hadn't even reached the runway, the man beside me was already calling his family in Akure. It was funny. 

There's still something very surreal about this move. Might be that I'm hear longer than I've comprehended, might be that my grandma died, it might be soo many things, but one thing for sure is that it's real, I'm here and you're coming on this journey with me. 

I called this post humble beginnings because I'm somewhat on my own. I have support from my mum, but in that I'm in this country own and with a limited inflow of cash, so it's humble beginnings for now.

Lagos 0 - Toni 5

Your newest and favourite IJGB.
xx

NB - IJGB - I just got back.

1 comment:

  1. You're gonna be just fine. Welcome home.
    Lend / advance anyone money, it's gone. Just so you know.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts or Questions?