Tuesday 30 June 2015

Chronicles of an IJGB: The working world.

I struggled for 9 months to get a full time employment in London after graduation. Now, 3 months in, under the name of NYSC, I’m working 9 hour long days. 7:30 – 4:30, and that’s only because ‘I’m still new.’ Apparently, it gets worse.

I’m not even going to dwell on that.

But hey, I can’t complain… I’m living without BVN to parental bank account, so that account is closed up. So a job isn’t half bad, besides, if I don’t work, Lord KNOWS what I’d be spending my time doing. So I work… in a school. No I don’t teach. I’m administrative staff… a fancy way (at least I think) of saying I’m a secretary.


Funny thing about this position, on my second day here someone asked me…

A: You’re the new staff here or are you from head office.
Me: No, I’m a corper. I’m serving.
A: Oh wow. So you studied secretarial studies at university.

At that point, I pictured myself scrolling down UCAS looking for such course. I briefly imagined myself pitching the course to my mother.

I smiled and replied: No, Business Economics.

It’s amazing how Nigerians tie your destiny to your degree sha. I mean, I’m not my 2:2, neither am I a secretary for life. Unfortunately, it’s NYSC. There’s only so much I can battle out.

Anyways, work is going good. All the staff members are nice and ensure that I am settled in. In face there’s this one guy who texts or calls me everyday after work to make sure I’m home safe. Talk about the extra mile, right?

Another plus note on this is the wi-fi. This is still an underdeveloped thing in Nigeria, or maybe it's just made out to be that way so it's stupid expensive and well, I don't yet have the funds to set up my wifi at home, so here at work, I do everything, send emails, tweet, update my personal stuff, gauge instagram, so on and so forth. I've decided to bring blogging here to. I mean, why struggle with etisalat 2GB at home? Work really isn't that bad.


The problem with work is commuting. I don’t drive. I know how to, but I don’t have a car and neither can I afford one. So, getting to school is down to public transport and my favourite (well, only really) mode of transport is: 

DANFO!!!
These grimy buses are the heart of Nigeria's transport and slowly... VERY slowly... slower than go slow at 6pm on third mainland, it's growing on me. As much as I dislike public transport, I can't lie, it's convenient. Comfortable, NO! But for the few places I ever NEED to go, this buddy gets me there. So work, is a 10/15 minutes ride on this Danfo away. 

Previously, I used to have to 'cross the express'. As a driver in Nigeria, people like me are the bane of your journeys. I apologise. I knew no better. In fact I didn't know how to cross and for a while, there was a guy who used to cross with me. He'd stop traffic and sure that I got to the other side safe and sound. He'd then ask for my number and I'd reply.. 'I'm late for work, can't wait.' Love in Lagos right?

Anyway, I've been exploring Lagos and I've found a safer route, which includes an overhead bridge so no worries, and I'm less 'tout-ish',  and much more settled. I think my IJGB status is expiring, no?


Lagos 0 - Toni 20
Your favourite IJGB. xx

1 comment:

  1. 15 minutes is not bad at all. I was going to suggest a portable DVD player. Then an inverter at home. Then you'd be completely all cosy. Have fun Baby!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts or Questions?