Tuesday 14 July 2015

Chronicles of an IJGB: The internet.

It's sad but communication in Nigeria is EXPENSIVE.

From Data to phonecalls, nothing is pocket friendly. Let's not even get on to the call packages. Where do I even start with those? COSTLY to the core!!! No sense at all.

Midnight calls don't even exist, texting is ridiculous so how then am I supposed to talk.

I remember being on 600mins, 500 texts, and unlimited internet with for £13. I'd easily go over and still have less than £50 to pay. Today that's what? N4000? LOL!!
Do you know how LITTLE N4000 gets you here? I'm not even sure if it gets me 60 mins.

Whenever my data finishes


This is not a cop out excuse for why I haven't been writing, even though it's a very valid one. It's just a rant of frustration. About Mobile data and usuage in general. It's like you scroll down instagram, watch a couple snapchats, tweet for 3 days reply whats apps and watch a youtube video then ... 'you have 100MB remaining.' from Eisalat.

This is literally how I feel each time that message comes through


It is PAINFUL! I mean, look at all the other reactions. I got an MTN myfi (my personal wifi, basically like a dongle) thing... WASTE!! I've been told Glo provides the cheapest data packages, but do I really want to fork out N4000 for a menial amount of data that'll load slowly.

Let's not even begin to think of international calls. As my family are overseas, for me, keeping in touch is expensive. That and my poor ability to do so anyways. So my parents probably believe that I've forgotten them. I mean, I send voicenotes, and once in a while I whastsapp calls, but still.

Get wifi you said?


I don't know what's funnier, the prices or the functionability (I've told you I make words up). For one, wifi only means I'll be MORE of a recluse, a frustrated recluse. Downloading when the signals are up, waiting for streams to load. Do I actually have the patience for that?
Secondly, you know how mobile data is a rip off, well wifi isn't anymore pleasant. And with this measly salary, I'm beginning to find bliss in solitude, enjoy my own company, 'like being alone... etc. In general, I've found myself, not only questioning, but also reasoning that human interaction isn't necessary. If I find 'bae' a phone call once a week is fine, not getting through to some one is the social norm.



The arguments for wifi right now are Swift, Spectranet and Smile. I don't know which one is really the best, but I just want a reliable internet source that'll help maintain my 2GB data per month and allow me watch my shows.

So nothing works. Communication is bad, but I try. Can't believe I'm saying this but i miss EE...

Lagos 5 - Toni 20
Your favourite IJGB. xx

1 comment:

  1. MTN loooooooool. http://upnaira.blogspot.com/2013/09/with-calls-now-averaging-just-under.html , http://upnaira.blogspot.com/2012/07/internet-hell.html , ...

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts or Questions?