Monday 7 September 2015

Chronicles of an IJGB: A helping hand.


NYSC registration opens tomorrow, so that means there's a new set of IJGB's coming into Lagos real soon. I'm not sure what that means for me. They won't accept me as an IJGB, but the expired ones won't accept me either.

'You've been here for four months, wow, that's long.' vs. 'Please, you've ONLY been here for 4 months.'

I guess the IJGB status is yours for as long as you hold on to it, so I'm doing just that. Till I'm done here.
Anyways, a lot of people have been aksing me NYSC related questions (you will think that the FAQ on their website leads to my DMs) so in response I've made this post.  Advice, Key Dates, and Lists. It's pretty extensive and it's not going to make things 'easy' for you. BUT it will help.



Trust me.. you're not ready!

Btw: Each heading is a hyperlink.

  1.  NYSC IS NOT FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE.This is probably the most important thing I'll ever tell you:  The sooner you understand this, the better. God BLESS the person that told me this.
  2.  NYSC Time-table
    These dates are extremely important. 7 and 12 being your Key dates. Know these and know a level of peace.
  3. Registration requirements
    There aren't too many documents you need to register and it really doesn't take that long if you have all the following (as a foreign student).
    Note: EVERYTHING you upload, you MUST! carry to camp with you on registration day. There's no Abuja verification again, so you do everything when you get to camp. If anything on the list confuses you, drop a comment and I'll help out.
  4. Camp list
    This was basically what I took to camp. Now obviously I don't expect everyone to go to camp. But if you plan on braving through the 20 nights like I did.. Here's all your essentials. I've gone and provided what I took but then I was in Lagos camp, so other camps might've had more needs.
  5. Speak to others
    Even if you don't know anyone going, you'll be alright. I didn;t and I met AMAZING people. If it's for experience information and you don't know anyone that stayed, check out Culture Custodians Camp diaries.
Other bits of advice: 
  • NYSC IS NOT FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE!
  • You get paid a total of N23,800 while IN camp. So there's really no need for you to take more than N35,000. But if you plan on including orijin in your life every night, the upper end is for you. Some people came with N100k sha and they finished it BEFORE allowee was paid. Also, there's ATM's sooo it's not too bad.
  • You can take cereal and stuff, but you might end up wasting  it.
  • My phones (I had 3 - 2 iphones and a pasala nokia - don't ask!) were pretty safe. If you're weary or careless, just take a pasala. If your careful, take your iPhone AND a powerbank - that's more likely to be stolen tbh.
  • You might need a 'camp number'. Read this however you want. Also don't be pressured into joining whatsapp groups. You need to save battery life. Besides, if you leave, someone WILL add you  back.
  • Make plenty photocopies of EVERYTHING! Have 20+ passport pictures. Have 10 copies of EVERY DOCUMENT! Make copies!
There's sooo much to tell you, but the one thing is, don't try to relive someone else's experience. Hope this helps. If you ever have any questions comment or tweet at me (@toniverse or @_thatshe_ I'll answer, I promise.

Oh and one last thing, I'm not sure I've told you:


NYSC IS NOT FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE!

Lagos 25 - Toni 50

 -your favourite IJGB.
xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or Questions?