Monday 23 May 2011

Being sick...

Headache, Stomach ache, no taste, fatigue .. the list goes on.
Every year, I fall sick at least 3 times. There has only been one year in which I've not fallen sick.. and that was 2008. Every other year I've fall ill. This year I've been to hospital 3 times, I've missed about 2 weeks of Uni and I've spent more than 15 hours in bed at a go more than 5 times. I'm not a sickle cell, but there was a time in my life that people thought I was. I remember in year 7, I used to fall sick all the time. Teachers thought I used to fake it because I hadn't done my homework, 'Seniors' used to think I was lying in order to avoid being sent on errands, Classmates used to think I just wanted to sleep in the sick bay (medical room), but I was always sick. The annoying thing, I hate being sick.
One reason I hate being sick is because I used to LOVE food, but being sick means I loose my appetite, and with this constant loss of appetite, I began to stop liking food. There was this one summer, my mum managed to make me add a lot of weight, but ever since then, I haven't eaten so much. I enjoy cooking, but I hate eating and this is all as a result of being sick.
Another thing I hate about being sick is medicine. I hate medicine. I'd rather an injection over medicine and I'm not necessarily a fan of needles, but medicine is such a drag. I never had an issue with medicine originally, but whenever I was sick, I used to have to take 10 - 20 tablets 3 times a day. They used to get stuck in my throat, the taste was horrible and I always felt worse after.
No one ever understood these things, and people still don't. I remember in year 8, this boy used to call me sickie. The name stung. So I fought it off, I was determined never to fall sick...but it seems I can't control it.
I'm not seeking pity or anything, but I'm simply raising awareness. When people are sick, they aren't having fun. Don't make assumptions that they are lying, don't make them feel bad that they are sick and don't assume they are having fun.
I hate being sick....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or Questions?