Tuesday 24 May 2011

Hold your head high.

Do not stand at my grave and weep; For I am not there I do not sleep. 
 Mary Elizabeth Frye's Poem is probably one of the most common poems read at a funeral... why.. because it is so beautiful. It helps us to remember the strength the deceased individual possessed. It helps us gather strength when we think about their departing. Not a lot of people pay attention to the words of such poems, but I do. I didn't say it will dry tears, I didn't say it will replace them, but it will help.
Anyway, I read the poem every now and then because it's so close to my heart and yesterday when I read it, I decided to write my own. The problem was I couldn't. Not that I couldn't think of any words, but simply because I couldn't find the strength within me to write it. And then this came:

I am not strong, yet I bear a smile,
I am not weak, yet I cry
I do not bear the bravest front,
Yet I hold my head high when others die.



I'm cut deep within, I burn in pain,
My wounds are invisible to the human eye,
I wear spiritual plasters and carry on
I hold my head high when others die.


I think the thoughts of positivity,
I cannot promise I will not cry
I'll try my best to hold others up,
I'll hold my head high when others die.

I'll take control and weep in silence
I'll provide tissues for when friends cry,
I'll feed the family and inform friends
My head will be held high when others die.


But for me I will accept, behaviour of no such.
For my absence is no reason to cry.
We'll see each other soon one day
Please hold your head high, the day I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or Questions?