Tuesday 17 April 2012

Openmindedness

Remember that post I had about eight months ago about photography? It's where a lot of my viewers started paying an interest. (Here it is:EVERYONE is into photography) I'll admit it's definitly not my best piece, I mean I read it over and I cringe at the way I expressed my self, but I guess that's all part of maturity right? Being able to look back on yourself and see how you could've done things better.  I've grown a lot through this blog and I can see that through my new pieces up against the old ones I bring up for you guys, especially poetry. In fact in terms of poetry I've grown a lot. I haven't had time for just pure writing, which is what I started with initially. At one point I did want to keep this all about poetry, but I also thought to express my mind in a non-poetic manner as well. 

Anyway, that is besides the point. Going back to my initial reference, the post on photography. In as much as I've grown and I'd do a lot differently, the message of hat post would still remain. Openmindedness. (Yes, I AM aware that is not a word but here in ToniVerse, it is). It may be a little difficult to grab that message from that post because in actual fact, when I wrote it then, I was rather narrow-minded myself. However, like I said I've grown in the past few months and I have learnt to not only understand the concept of being openminded and what it entails, but it's value/importance. 


We generally find it hard to communicate with each other because we have our own set opinions and when we do listen to one another, we still fall back on what we stand. (Notice how I say 'we'?) I'm not saying we should be gullible and easily influenced by all we are told, no. I'm simply saying we should hear one another out. Take Kony 2012 for instance. When I said I wasn't in support of the movement, someone asked me why. My answer was because I didn't know enough. I had a lot of questions that the video rose, but didn't answer. If someone was supporting the movement and had done further research AFTER watching the video, I was willing to hear them out. If you didn't watch the video, your 'opinion' didn't matter to me because in all essence you were either supporting or opposing a notion based on influence. What I found interesting was that during this era (which is still in fact ongoing), everyone was opinionated. 



Very few people were willing to hear each other out. I am still indecisive as to whether the movement is one I'd oppose or support, because I had questions for both sides. I'm not trying to play Devil's advocate or anything, I'm simply trying to get a better understanding and I cannot do that by myself which is why I am open to what other people say, What disturbs me is when I listen to you and I then ask a question on what you've said and your ignorance kicks in. Then anything I say you disregard because YOU believe YOU know it all. I find that we all say, I don't do that, but trust me you do. It may not be on this Kony issue, it may not be on Uni fees, but it could be on Trayvon Martins murder or Ibori case.



Openmindedness is not just limited to issues of current affair. No it in fact extends to how you perceive things. Which is why every photographer is the same to you, which is why every upcoming rapper is the same, which is why dubstep, house and drum&bass all sound the same, which is why pasta, noodles and spaghetti are more or less the same dish. i could go on and on and on about the undistinguished differences that we pack together, simply because we are not openminded enough. 

Follow me on twitter for more on 'Openmindedness' @ToniVerse or just drop a comment below and we can interact.

In other news, OUR BIRTHDAY IS ON IT'S WAY!!! WHOOP! Sadly, it'll be during exam period, so I cannot guarantee a post and I am telling you there is no party. But stay tuned there will be something exciting!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or Questions?