Monday 24 November 2014

A 2:2 is NOT okay... but life will be.

I used to tell my mum that no one goes into an examination with the pure intention to fail, she'd laugh at me and tell me
'You know nothing Anto' (Shout to all the GoT fans) 

Thought I'd throw in a cheeky joke. Lol.

Anyways, turns out she was right, I got to Uni and well, while I won't say 'to fail', was their intention, it was simply to 'just pass'. Sad thing was I found myself in that category many a time. I'd be calculating scores I needed to 'just get this module over and done with.'

Anyway, I cleaned up this mentality and got on track for a 2:1. Whilst it was borderline too late, I also fell ill during exams. Long story short, I graduated with a 2:2. Along with those who were a couple % off a 2:1, I was gutted. Though I wasn't quite off the mark, I had mitigating circumstances, to which everyone's response 'Oh that's good then.' Well errmmm, no it's not. (Employers don't get that).


The truth is,  getting a 2:2 is not ok. 




1. It's not okay for job applications to firms where you could be working.



Yes I'm fully aware that there's a number of firms that don't mind what you get. In general however, most firms do... at least the ones we're expected to end up in. With the number of applications they get, there's no easier way than to screen off through academics. Whilst I don't blame recruiters for this, this essentially sends back the message, 'you're not good enough' to applicants. Secondly, experience. With a 2:2, you end up with a limited choice: to intern/volunteer instead of work. Now understand that you are asking a graduate, (who is more than likely to be in debt), to work for free. I'm here watching the school leavers earn more and it hurts. Nonetheless, this doesn't mean you should say no to opportunities.. still apply. Sometimes your confidence and passion get you much further than a 1st. Remember - Life will be okay.


2. It's not okay for applications on to certain postgraduate study.
A lot of people recommend doing a Master's to compensate for your Undergraduate failure - as society implicitly states - to this I say NO!! Do I think Master's are a complete waste of time, of course not. In fact they are great, but only great when you know exactly how it's gonna help you achieve your desired career goal. It's actually easier to get on to masters at a top school with a 2:2. Produce a passionate personal statement, your mitigating circumstances report, or your marginal percentage off the 2:1, and also a lot of other extra curricular stuff. But never feel like because you got a 2:2, you HAVE to jump into postgraduate study, if you do get rejected, it probably won't be because you got a 2:2, but because they can tell you're only doing this because you got a 2:2. Does that make sense? It's okay to wait out, travel, 'discover yourself.' Remember - Life will be okay.


3. It's not okay for certain family members (especially when you're Nigerian) 
This isn't applicable in all homes.
I can't explain this better than the vines and youtube video's do. Essentially, in your own household you get told what the outside world is telling you. As if you haven't felt disappointment enough. I know they mean well by these high hopes, but sometimes, the words just aren't needed. All you need is mum to make you a hot chocolate and tell you the great stuff about you. You can tell family how you feel, you'd be surprised at all the other good stuff you've achieved but failed to realise. They will remind you. Remember - Life will be okay.



4. and more importantly, what people tend to forget, is that it's not okay for YOU. 
While there are some people who are elated to get 2:2, there's the bummed aspirational lot of us who left it too late, worked so hard and/or just missed out, and every time we hear about a friend getting a job we think, damn this 2:2. People around us forget that personally we're not pleased. We get those few people who throw out the 'it's not the end of the world speech.' but at that point, they can't relate to how much it feels like the end of YOUR world.  For every 2:2 in your undergrad, there's hundreds of great things about you. Remember: Life will be okay!

ANYWAYS!!!





I found this article about people being successful with a 2:2, and while I don't agree with the assumptions that those who got a 2:2 spent their time smoking weed, skipping lectures and being weird all together (Some people did that and got a first  - and some didn't do that at all but got a 2:2).... it's quite the read. The original article is on a Sunday Times... but the summary of it is on Daily mail (for those who have no Times subscription)


So my point here is, if your on track for a 2:2, get off that line and change to the one going to a 2:1. If it's genuinely too late, brace yourself. I'm not sugar-coating anything. I got a 2:2 and while writing it on here may be easy, it'll never be okay for me to say. That doesn't mean mope about and drown in sorrow, it just means work hard. You can still get somewhere... which may be better than those that got a 1st or a 2:1.

 Remember...

LIFE WILL BE OKAY.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or Questions?