Saturday 29 November 2014

Shameless Beauty

So apparently, I only ever write about love and heartbreak. So here's a poem NOT about love... well actually, it is, but a different type anyways. This is probably the most personal poem on this blog tbh, because there is NOTHING fictional about it and it's based on me (unlike most that are drawn from observation and mood - and sometimes hunger). Anyways... Hope you enjoy. x

Shame on me
For not being satisfied with my looks,
For accepting the standard set by the media
Acknowledging that I look nothing like the model on my television screen,
My make-up an outlier to the girl in the magazine
And let's not even try and match the princess in disney books.



But I never cooked this up belief up by myself,
Society's failure to correct me played a part.
In portraying the only form of beauty as nothing close to me.
I saw beautiful as a thing that I could not be.
The popular girl, the supermodel, the Diva
We had nothing in common, so I accepted
I'm ugly.
And no one, not a single soul disagreed?
Shame on you!

How could you let a young girl develop such pathetic thoughts and say it was alright?
By failing to say it wasn't, You just turned a blind eye.
You saw how she was an outcast, cos she wasn't at least half-cast,
You accepted that she didn't fit in, because she was of different contrast!
That's only a slice of the pie.
SHAME ON YOU!
For accepting that I am not beautiful.


It didn't stop there as grew though.
Because my breast were slow to develop
The boys thought it wise to make example of me
To show the other girls how a girl ought not to be.
And some girls may have tried to share sympathy,
But they too, they laughed behind me, in secrecy.
And they'd date the ones with big bossoms and load
And leave us to dwell in our 'amazing personailties'
I was oppressed for my lack of breast by members of the opposite sex?
Does this even rest well in your ears?
That you subject me to emotional torture and tears?
Shame on you!

There were many ways I was reminded I wasn't pretty.
From exclusion to call outs, of course I had no hope.
 now I stand in the mirror and see my value!
Now I stand in the mirror and I stare at my face.
I adore the reflection I see.
For I've  been insulted and picked on, called ugly.
But I stand in front of the mirror and laugh,
For I see a beautiful smile produced by crooked teeth,
And eyes so perfectly shaped
And though my cheeks my be chubby, and my ears rather small
I am so in love with my face.

Shame on me, once more!
For taking so long to realise!
That beauty begins form deep within,
It comes out best, when you're content with your skin.
That's when you start to glow.
that's when you let the best of you show
And that's when you let society know
That there is no shame in your beauty.
Shame on society.
But most of all, shame on the word that is ugly.


Because I think I'm a dark-skinned GAWDESS! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or Questions?