Monday 3 August 2015

Chronicles of an IJGB: Lagos sufferrings.

Apparently, I've created the illusion that I am absolutley LOVING Lagos.

Brothers and sisters, this is NOT the case.
It's not that I hate it oh! I just try to have fun at EVERY given opportunity and Lagos seems to provide a few of those. But don't forget... Looks can be deceiving... All na wash! All na packaging!

HOWEVER... Contrary to popular opinion, Lagos doesn't make you fatter or darker. I've both lost weight and apparently gotten lighter. NW50 - NW45. If you know, you know.


I actually started typing this post last week Monday at work, but I had a lot to do so you know, I thought, I'd take it home then upload it later.The plan was in place. I charged my laptop up to 100% and got home nice and fine. Had dinner and opened my laptop. It refused to come on. I quickly ran to a nearby friends place, as the MacBook community is very connected, but nothing. So my baby is unconscious right now.

Unfortunately, this is where it all went downhill. My phone battery was low by the time I got home and as is with Nigeria, there was no light - just when you need it. So I thought, let's put on the Generator, but no fuel. I know, the inverter... no battery. I stared into the blackness of my room and listened to rumblings of my neighbours' generators. If I've never been upset in this Lagos (bar the period of my grandma's burial), my emotions that night included frustration,, stress and borderline depression. All I could do was sleep, so I did.

Still moody, I got to work, but occupied with alot to do, I got on with my day. Intentionally finished late and then went home. Today, there was light. So I had to just stare at the T.V because, no DSTV. Did you know that Super story, is still a thing? It's the same story different cast though. Oh and better cameras. The temptation to drink away my sorrows, de-stress via alcohol was real, so I did. There goes that ban, right? I got into bed a little early, and began tweeting/chatting then my phone froze. I had never experienced this. I didn't know what to do. It just refused to respond to touch.
All this NEPA, and no phone or laptop. REALLY LAGOS?


On Wednesday, I encountered a 'mad man'. I was walking on the road and a man was seemingly talking to himself. I do this a lot, but this was different, so I put my head down and continued to walk. Then he walked up to me and started his rant. 'I'm a good man, I've never owed any one money.' He went on for a bit and I kept walking. He wasn't talking to me. He was talking at me. I found it interesting. Uncomfortable, but interesting.

Thursday left me a little agitated that nothing was going my way. I had a plan to play basketball, then out with a friend. So a little optimistic, I entered the bus to work. The next stop, and more people joined. All of a sudden, one woman began 'let u pray'.. this woman, prayed, then began attacking us, one by one. Verbally forcing us to 'give our lives to Christ.' At one point she poked my neck and screamed 'repent!' Couldn't have been more glad to get to work. My plans all crashed though when I finished early and my hairdresser called and said 'Are you not coming again?'. I thought I could still do the outing, but braids.

Lagos 15 - Toni 20

By Friday - General CDS - No work day - I was exhausted, not physically, but mentally. Lagos had shown me pepper this week and the pain from my braids had far from subsided. So I was ready to GIVE DEM!!! We won't discuss this weekend, nopes! But as far as the scoreboard goes... I kicked Lagos' ass.
(Until yesterday when I slept like a log!)


So, I'm not having the time of my life, I just have stories to tell and a lot of people to hang with. I like meeting new people and making the most of every outing. That in my opinion is one way to maintain your sanity in Lagos. It's not famz if it's only to stay balanced.


Lowks, it's the reflection I love. x
Happy Birthday to this beauty today btw. Thanks for accompanying me in defeating Lagos. 

Lagos 15 - Toni 30

- your favourite IJGB. x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts or Questions?